Perfectionism, experienced uniquely by each individual, can lead to increased feelings of stress, anxiety, and depression at times. There are often underlying reasons behind one’s perfectionism, such as fear of failure and feelings of inadequacy that need to be unpacked. Other socio-cultural factors also play a role in conditioning one into striving for perfection to receive recognition and appreciation.
Therapy provides the following and much more:
- A non-judgmental exploration of how one’s perfectionism might be causing self-defeating thoughts and behaviors
- Tools and techniques to understand and alter the self-defeating thoughts and beliefs
- A compassionate space to understand and manage difficult emotions
- The professional expertise needed to uncover any underlying concerns such as obsessive and intrusive thoughts or compulsive behaviors
- The place to understand the influence of relationships and cultural factors that might have shaped one’s perfectionistic nature