Body image concerns arise when one does not feel comfortable with their physical appearance. One’s unacceptance of their body impacts their self-esteem and, at times, their overall well-being. It might lead to feelings of anxiety, sadness, and other challenging emotions. The media, culture, and comments from friends and family make it harder for individuals to accept their bodies and embrace themselves just as they are.
Therapy provides the following and much more:
- A non-judgmental space to explore difficult emotions and thoughts
- A place that does not invalidate one’s concerns as big or small but seeks to compassionately explore the pain underneath
- Exploration to separate an individual’s belief about themselves from other’s unhelpful thoughts/views about them
- Conversations that empower an individual to challenge these socio-cultural narratives of ideal bodies and create a more compassionate view of themselves
- Also provides powerful tools and techniques that highlight one’s strengths that are often minimized and helps an individual to embrace themselves as a whole